TOPEX 2021 SPEAKER – MR. CRAIG SIMS, ASCO MOTORS CEO
Mr. Craig Sims is an Australian with Sri Lankan Heritage and has been living in Fiji since 2015. Mr. Sims grew up in Brisbane and completed his Bachelor of Commerce / Economics at the University of Queensland before moving to Canberra, to work at the Auditor General’s Office.
Following this, he then moved to Perth to work as a Chartered Accountant, before moving back home to Brisbane in 2008.
Whilst in Brisbane, Mr. Sims commenced work with Toyota Tsusho South Pacific Holdings, the holding company for Toyota in the South Pacific. From 2008 until 2014, Mr. Sims was the Internal Audit Manager for the Group and travelled extensively to visit the operations of the seven countries under TTSPH (Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga). Whilst in Brisbane, Mr. Sims completed his CPA, CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) and MBA at the University of Queensland.
In 2015, Mr. Sims received an opportunity to lead a newly formed Branch of TTSPH in Fiji and moved across in May 2015. In 2016, he was appointed as CEO / Director of Toyota Tsusho (South Sea) limited and maintains responsibility for the Fiji, Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga operations.
Mr. Sims lives in Fiji with his Wife, Elizabeth, and his two sons aged 9 and 3. His hobbies are reading both fiction and non-fiction books, travelling, spending time with his family, travelling around Fiji and playing video games (badly). He has travelled to a number of the associated Toyota companies in Australia, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Eastern Europe to study their best practices and seek to implement specific aspects.
Mr. Sims cannot wait for the borders to re-open so he can firstly see his extended family in Australia again, but also to visit all the countries around the Pacific again.
His focus for Asco Motors is on the following five key areas
1) Improving the employee satisfaction for his team and increasing communication between Management and the team.
2) Improving Customer Satisfaction – Knowing that we do and will make mistakes, but how we learn and improve from these is important. Also noting the importance of understanding and obtaining the Customers Voice and acting.
3) Branding the business as the number one automotive company in the region, by focusing on Excellent Customer Service to match the well-known products.
4) Improving the balance of female participation within the business. By its nature, the automotive industry is largely a male environment, but we are seeking to change this.
5) Innovating – The automotive industry is facing a radical change due to digitalization and we need to keep on innovating and moving forward. As the TTSPH Group we are looking at how we can modernize and improve. It is a very exciting time now and for the next 5 years.